GotPoetry.com > > Forums > > Poetry Workshops > > Post a Poem > > WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST
GotPoetry.com

Help
Toggle Content .:: Home :: Poems :: Workshop Forums :: Register :: Features ::.
Toggle Content Judge this Poem

Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: frpass
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 3
Overall: 16904

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 101
Bots: 2
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff currently online.

Toggle Content Paid Membership
Buy a paid membership and get more out of GotPoetry!

Advertise on the GotPoetry Advertising Network.

Toggle Content Donations
Donate with PayPal!
GotPoetry is a community supported site.
Due Date: Aug 31
August Goal: 230.00
Gross Amount: 297.17
PayPal Fees: 11.93
Net Balance: 285.24
Above Goal: 55.24
Site Currency: USD
124% 
August Donations
10th  Blondie
9th  Blondie
9th  Kinode
8th  chameleon
8th  HSTeech
8th  MichaelFir...
8th  Mayo

Toggle Content Top Poetry Clubs

Forums > > Poetry Workshops > > Post a Poem > > WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST
My PostsMy Posts  SearchSearch   visitView posts since last: visitdayweekmonth

WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > Post a Poem
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamta

Site Curator

Credits: 503

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 1:16:34 EDT 2010    Post subject: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

ANNOUNCING THE WINNER of our quarterly GotPoetry Contest held in July 2010.

The staff and curators of GotPoetry thank all the participants for making this contest a huge success. We look forward to your participation again in our future contests.

Thank you to all the participants. The karma points have been transferred to all the participants and to the winners.

Thank you to our judges - Loisseau, fogglethorpe Huberjack and wordsmithwannabe.

mamta

Site Curator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 1:19:21 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Symphony

by tomlop

I am seated facing a wooden frame with white and black keys, contrasting the silhouettes of changing tones and harmonic vibrations. I am playing along with a phantom symphony, a ghost ensemble featuring the uncanny, but undeniable, justice of a marching trumpet. The rhythmic snap of a cymbal and the low chime of the saxophone blend together sleepily, catching one another on down beats and up beats, a fanciful waltz of sorts, dancing around the piano’s voice box. I am smiling, and I can feel the cracks in my mind are filling with the sweet sounds of a phantom symphony.

mamta

Site Curator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 1:23:34 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Congratulations tomlop!!!

mamta

Site Curator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 1:29:45 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

I have loisseau's comment for this poem.

a fine musical vignette in the right structure and within 100 words

Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life
Staff Picks/June 2010Poet of Month/July 2010Poem of the Month/November 2010Staff Picks/March 2011

Credits: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 4:51:13 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Congratulations tomlop, this is truly
a magnificent piece of writing,

best regards
Ilan

fogglethorpe
Who knew we would get this far?

Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Seasons Poetry ContestStaff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Poem of the Month/June 2009Best Critic/August 2009!Poet of the Month/November 2009Staff Picks/February 2010Staff Picks/March 2010Site Curator

Credits: 581

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 9:35:06 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

This was one of my favorites..an elevated piece of writing.

wordsmithwannabe
The first hundred years are the hardest

Poet of the Month/April 2010Blog Picks for April 2010Poem of the Month/April 2010Staff Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/May 2010Blog Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/June 2010Staff Picks/June 2010Judge - Quartely Poetry ContestEat Chicken!Winner-haiku contest - September 2010Blog Picks/ November 2010Staff Picks/January 2011Blog Picks/September 2011Staff Picks/October 2011Staff Picks/March 2012Blog Picks/July 2012Staff Picks/July 2012Staff Picks/October 2012GP Curator

Credits: 97
Location: Somewhere between a rock, a hard place, and all points in between. Also known as Vancouver, WA...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 11:11:33 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

congratulations Dylan, you've written a haunting piece of poetry that stays with the reader long after the words have been digested. well done!

Huberjack
Told love the world was on fire

Told love the world was on fire
Poet of the Month!Haiku contest: 3rd placeHaiku Contest- 1st placeStaff Picks!Best Critic/July 2009!Staff Picks/Septemeber 2009second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/December 2009Judge/leave the lights on contestStaff Picks/February 2010Judge of Luck of the 'I wish' contestJudge - Quartely Poetry ContestJudge - holiday poetry contestPoem of the Month/January 2011

Credits: 455

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 12:53:35 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Congrats, Tomlop. This piece was also one of leaders on my scoresheet. Your poem proves that one does not need to use 50-cent words or abstract concepts to write excellent prose.

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down. --Robert Frost (1874-1963)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Pujakins
Geoffrey Chaucer died in 1400 AD

Geoffrey Chaucer died in 1400 AD
Blog Picks/September 2010Staff Picks/September 2011Staff Picks/October 2012Blog Picks/November 2012GP Curator

Credits: 333

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 20:03:02 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Hurray for music expressed in words, Nice poem, well said. Warm Wishes, Tasha

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
thewholesoul
Regular

Regular
Staff Picks/December 2009Winner Luck of the 'I wish' contestStaff Picks/May 2010Poem of the Month/August 2010Staff Picks/January 2011

Credits: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 21:45:47 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

wow, great write tomlop, beautiful imagry throughout.

best wishes

conor

realrhoda
Conversationalist

Conversationalist
Blog Picks!Blog Picks!Poem of the Month!Poet of the Month/August 2009Blog Picks/August 2009!

Credits: 17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 6:43:57 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Just lovely!
Congratulalations!

Realrhoda

ken2shoes
Member for Life

Member for Life
Staff Picks/February 2011Staff Picks/April 2011Staff Picks/June 2011Staff Picks/August 2011Staff Picks/January 2013Staff Picks/January 2014Staff Picks/July 2014

Credits: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 7:37:14 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Fantastic poem - well-deserved

fogglethorpe

Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Seasons Poetry ContestStaff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Poem of the Month/June 2009Best Critic/August 2009!Poet of the Month/November 2009Staff Picks/February 2010Staff Picks/March 2010Site Curator

Credits: 581

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 9:52:47 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

My honorable mention is by maryanns. This short character study reveals just enough, and allows to the reader to jump off from there. Is is full of empathy and grace:

Patience

Patience paints portraits
at the beach on sunny days.

Brief watercolor renditions
of features blown in the wind
awaken to bold strokes
splashed casually, effortlessly
even absentmindedly
from under her wide brimmed
straw hat like magic.

Thin fingers dab here and there
pink pigments of sunburn
grace pasty, freckled cheeks
of children with hot sandy feet
who stood in the long line
impatiently awaiting Patience.

Though when the weather turns
she sometimes returns home
with wet sand in her sneakers
and nothing in her pockets
but several old handkerchiefs
covered in peach colored paint.

wordsmithwannabe

Poet of the Month/April 2010Blog Picks for April 2010Poem of the Month/April 2010Staff Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/May 2010Blog Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/June 2010Staff Picks/June 2010Judge - Quartely Poetry ContestEat Chicken!Winner-haiku contest - September 2010Blog Picks/ November 2010Staff Picks/January 2011Blog Picks/September 2011Staff Picks/October 2011Staff Picks/March 2012Blog Picks/July 2012Staff Picks/July 2012Staff Picks/October 2012GP Curator

Credits: 97
Location: Somewhere between a rock, a hard place, and all points in between. Also known as Vancouver, WA...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 10:52:19 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

yes, i enjoyed that poem as well, H. there were some wonderful pieces of prose submitted, it was an honor and a privilege to be part of the judging process.

tomlop
Conversationalist

Conversationalist
Staff Picks/March 2010Blog Picks/July 2010Winner - quarterly poetry contestStaff Picks/December 2010Staff Picks/December 2010Blog Picks/February 2011Blog Picks/May 2011

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 19:44:19 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Holy Crap! I come home from a camping trip to such a wonderful surprise! Thank you to all the judges and to everyone on this site!

zhaul
Been here longer than 3 servers ago.

Been here longer than 3 servers ago.
Poet of the Month!Staff Picks/August 2010Best Critic/August 2010Eat Chicken!gotpoetry curator

Credits: 358

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 20:05:50 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

Tomlop: Congratulations!!!

mamta: how cool the badge looks, thanks for letting me design it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
mamta

Site Curator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 20:51:30 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

i normally mention who did the badge for the contest. i am sorry that i forgot to mention it.

thanks a lot saul. it does look cool.

DragonBlue
Conversationalist

Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 1 13:18:33 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: WINNER OF THE QUARTERLY GOTPOETRY CONTEST Reply with quote

congratulations tomlop.

"In a universe of justice the eyes of truth are always watching you"-Enigma
"Greatness derives from diversity; mediocrity is form poetry."-db

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > Post a Poem All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: